The Monastery of Christ Pantocrator, 'the Almighty', was founded by Empress Irene, wife of John II Comnenus, some time after 1118, Some time later John built a small church to the north dedicated to the Virgin Eleousa, 'the Merciful'. Finally by 1136, the two churches were joined by a funerary chapel built between them whose crypt served as the imperial mausoleum. Converted into a mosque after the Ottoman Conquest.
This view along İbadethane Arkası Sokağı is towards the east end of the northern church.
... The structure has undergone restoration.
2 July 1982
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
B-82/2/36E2 290516 230723
bvw photos ...
Church of Christ Pantocrator >
Copyright © 2011-2023 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved