Church of St George in the Phanar ( Ecumenical Patriarchate )
There has been a church at this place since 1601, when Patriarch Matthew II converted a former convent to be the home of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. The present church dates from 1720, the previous building having been destroyed by fire.
View of the north-west elevation.
Dr Sadık Ahmet Caddesi ( formerly Sadrazam Ali Paşa Caddesi ), Fener.
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
CS-79/11/13E2 240411 270820
Copyright © 2011-2023 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved