This church, dedicated to the 'All-Blessed Mother of God', is thought to date from the 12th century. In the early 14th century a parekklesion - side chapel - was built on to the south side of the church by the widow of Michael Glabas, a prominant general. The chapel is notable for the quality of its mosaics. The complex remained in Greek posession until 1591, when Sultan Murat III converted it into a mosque, naming it Fethiye Camii, commemorating his conquest of Georgia and Azerbajan.
The chapel is now a museum, whilst the original church maintains its status as a mosque. View from the south-west.
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Church of Theotokos Pammakaristos > Fethiye Camii
B-82/3/09E N 240411 160815
Copyright © 2011-2021 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved