Part of the city's southern defences, set back on high ground above the River Tigris. Tower 56, on the left, was constructed in 1034-35 during the period of Marwanid rule, whilst Tower 57 beyond dates to 1092-93, at the end of the rule of Seljuk Sultan Malik Shah.
The gap in the wall here allows access to an extramural cemetery.
View from the south.
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Diyarbakır City Walls - Towers 56-57
CS-82/5/29E2 280612 280819
30 May 1982
Copyright © 2011-2023 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved