The manor of Madeley, formerly in the possesion of Wenlock Priory, was aquired from the Crown in 1544 by Sir Robert Brooke. Madeley Court, seen here, dates from the second half of the 16th century and incorporates fragmentary remains of an original 13th century hall. To the right is a late-16th century Gatehouse, with twin octagonal towers.
After being derelict for many years, the building was stabilised by the Telford Development Corporation in the late 1970s. It has now been restored and flourishes as a hotel.
View from the west.
Madeley Court, Telford
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
26 January 1983
Copyright © 2011-2023 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved