bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Digital M-17/1/11-3 260417
Wheal Trewavas Mine
The mine at Trewavas was established in 1834 in order to extract copper ore from workings which extended beneath the sea. Seen here is the Engine House of the 'Old' Engine Shaft with an adjacent manual capstan platform. The mine closed in 1846 when the workings were flooded.
The structure was aquired by the National Trust in 2008 and later consolidated.
Some 2 miles along the cliff from Porthleven, although much closer from the Nationlal Trust car park at Rinsey.
View from the east.
18 April 2017
Copyright © 2011-2023 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved