Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Monastery of Deir az-Zafaran < > Mor Hananyo
The Syrian Orthodox Monastery of Deir az-Zafaran ( the 'Saffron Monastery', possibly after the colour its stone ), lies some 5 km south-east of Mardin. Founded in the 5th century, the monastery's main church is thought to date from the 6th century.
Its Syriac name of Mor Hananyo is after Ananias, a bishop of Mardin, who renovated the monastery buildings sometime after 793. From 1160 until 1932 it was the seat of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch, now located in Damascus.
View from the north, late afternoon.
bvw photos ...
12 October 1986
Copyright © 2011-2017 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved