Church of St Mary of the Mongols >
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
bvw photos ...
This church was built some time after 1281 on the site of an earlier monastery dedicated to Theotokos Panaghiotissa, the 'All-Holy Mother of God'.
Maria Palaeologina, the illegitimate daughter of Byzantine Emperor Michael VIII and widow of Mongolian Khan Abagu, returned to Constantinople and founded the church and an adjacent convent, to which she retired. The church became an known as Panaghia Mouchliotissa ( St Mary of the Mongols ).
After the Ottoman Conquest Sultan Mehmet II decreed that the Greeks be allowed to keep the church, possibly at the request of his Greek architect. It is thus the only surviving Byzantine church of the city which has remained in their possession.
Here, repairs are being carried out.
Tevkii Cafer Mektebi Sokağı, Fener.
Copyright © 2011-2018 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved