Church of St John the Baptist of Studius > İmrahor Camii
The 5th century Church of St John of Studius is the city's oldest surviving church. Originally connected to the Studion Monastery, it was converted into a mosque in the late 15th century. After suffering severe damage in an earthquake in 1894 it was abandoned. This view of the nave, looking towards the entrance, shows the remains of the decorative marble opus sectile floor, laid down in the 13th century.
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
3 December 1986
Copyright © 2011-2018 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved