One of the world's great structures, Hagia Sophia, the 'Church of Holy Wisdom', is the third church to stand on the site. Dedicated in 537 during the reign of Justinian, it was rededicated in 563 after earthquakes caused partial collapse of the building. After the Ottoman Conquest the church became a mosque, the minarets being added at various times during the Ottoman era.
It was closed to worshippers in 1931, reopening in 1935 as a museum.
In the distance is Hagia Eirene, the 'Church of Holy Peace'.
Elevated view to the east from Yerebatan Caddesi.
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Hagia Sophia < > Ayasofya
Copyright © 2011-2019 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved