Church of SS Peter and Paul
A church was established here by the Dominicans in the late 15th century, later becoming the French parochial church in Galata. In the 19th century it was used by the local Maltese community. Today mass is celebrated in Italian. The church is entered from a courtyard, the access to which is through the half-opened doorway seen here. The present structure was built by the Fossati brothers in 1841.
The complex backs on to a surviving stretch of 14th century Genoese fortifications.
Galata Kulesi Sokağı, just below the Galata Tower.
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Copyright © 2011-2018 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved