Built by the Dominicans in about 1325 on the site of an earlier church dedicated to St Paul, the Church of St Dominic was converted into a mosque in the later 15th century. Towards the end of that century it was given over  to Moors, who had migrated to Constantinople, having been driven out of Spain, hence the reference to 'Arab'.
The windows seen here, originally in the Gothic style, were changed to the Ottoman style in 1734-5 during renovations after a widespread fire in the area in 1731.
Galata Mahkemesi Sokağı, Karaköy.
______________________________________________
CS-79/8/32E N
Cplakidas
©
Byzantine Constantinople - wikipedia
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Church of SS Paul & Dominic >   
Arap Camii
July 1979
240411  190815
carouselcarousel
slideshowslideshow
gallery 1gallery 1
bvw photos ...
Site map
Arap Camii
Arap Camii
Yashica FR1
bvw-photos.com




- Istanbul
- Ankara - Adıyaman - Diyarbakır - Mardin - Nevşehir - Sinop - Şanlıurfa - Trabzon - Automobiles
- Beyoğlu - Çatalca - Eminönü - Fatih - Golden Horn
ENGLAND
- Butana
SYRIA
TURKEY
ITALY
- Rome
SUDAN
CHANNEL ISLES
- Jersey
- Cornwall - Northumberland - Shropshire - Miscellaneous
GREECE
- Athens
MISCELLANEOUS
-
- Aleppo - Ar-Raqqah
T
Copyright © 2011-2017  Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved