Francis of Assisi stayed here when he came to Rome in the early 13th century. Originally a Benedictine foundation, the complex was aquired by the Franciscan Order after St Francis's death. The 13th century church was rebuilt from 1603, with the façade being added towards the end of the century. Notable for Bernini's statue of the Blessed Ludovica Albertoni.
The column, originally from the ruins of the Etrurian city of Veii, was erected here by Pius IX in 1847, shortly after he became Pope.
Piazza di San Francesco d'Assisi, Trastevere.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
 
Church of San Francesco a Ripa
CN-00/2/03E3
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Ludovica Albertoni
Site map
280612
bvw-photos.com
gallery 1gallery 1
Contax 139
Church of San Francesco a Ripa
carouselcarousel
slideshowslideshow
February 2000
ENGLAND
- Istanbul - Ankara - Adıyaman - Diyarbakır - Mardin - Nevşehir - Sinop - Şanlıurfa - Trabzon - Automobiles
- Butana
SYRIA
- Aleppo - Ar-Raqqah
TURKEY
ITALY
- Rome
MISCELLANEOUS
SUDAN
CHANNEL ISLES
- Jersey
- Cornwall - Northumberland - Shropshire - Miscellaneous
-
GREECE
- Athens
Copyright © 2011-2017  Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved