Founded in the 4th century and dedicated to four unknown martyrs, the basilica was enlarged by Pope Leo IV in the 9th century, together with the addition of other structures, including the bell tower seen here. This church was destroyed by the Normans in 1084.
A smaller basilica was built on the site by Pope Paschal II in the early 12th century, with a cloister being added in the 13th century.
Since 1564 the complex has been occupied by  Augustinian nuns, who formerly ran an orphanage here.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
 
CN-00/1/17E N
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Santi Quattro Coronati
Basilica of Santi Quattro Coronati
280612
bvw-photos.com
gallery 1gallery 1
Contax 139
Site map
Basilica of Santi Quattro Coronati
Basilica of Santi Quattro Coronati
carouselcarousel
slideshowslideshow
February 2000
ENGLAND
- Istanbul - Ankara - Adıyaman - Diyarbakır - Mardin - Nevşehir - Sinop - Şanlıurfa - Trabzon - Automobiles
- Butana
SYRIA
- Aleppo - Ar-Raqqah
TURKEY
ITALY
- Rome
MISCELLANEOUS
SUDAN
CHANNEL ISLES
- Jersey
- Cornwall - Northumberland - Shropshire - Miscellaneous
-
GREECE
- Athens
Copyright © 2011-2017  Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved