The Church of St James is a Norman foundation of the 12th century. In the 13th century the Parish of Stirchley was established and it became the parish church.
The sandstone chancel, nearest the camera, is original, whilst the brick nave and tower were bult in 1741, probably encasing earlier walling. A north aisle was added in 1838.
The church became redundant in 1975 and today is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
Stirchley is now part of the conurbation of Telford.
View from the south-east.
St James's Church, Stirchley
30 December 1982
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
Copyright © 2011-2017 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved