bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
B-83/3/18E2 240411 100317
15 March 1983
The world's first major cast iron bridge was built across the River Severn in 1779, providing a link between the wharfage below the town of Madeley, and Broseley, south of the river. In the 1780s a settlement was established north of the bridge, with a market square and asscociated buildings, and a hotel - The Tontine. On the hillside above, St Luke's Church was built in 1836.
Ironworking and a wide variety of other industries developed in the district from the late 17th century. In 1986 the Ironbridge Gorge area was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is now a major tourist destination. View from the west.
Copyright © 2011-2021 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved