Hay Inclined Plane
This inclined plane enabled goods to be transferred from the Shropshire Canal at Blists Hill to the River Severn at Coalport, some 63m below. Flat-bottomed 'tub' boats were attached to cradles ( trolleys ) on the rails. The cradles were connected by chains to a winding drum at the top of the incline. A loaded boat, lowered under braking from the top, drew up an empty boat on the opposite rail.
The incline was in use from 1792 until the late 19th century. Restoration began in 1969.
bvw photos ...
Encoding - Unicode UTF 8
14 November 1982
Copyright © 2011-2018 Brian Williams - All Rights Reserved